Sunday, January 21, 2007

of frogs and hippos


My in-laws gave me a gift card to Pottery Barn for Christmas. So far, I have purchased one $6 item at the PB Outlet for myself (one of those stainless steel bars in the shape of soap that is supposed to get the smell of onion or garlic off of your hands after you chop it) and 3 things for Asher. My friends with kids always used to tell me that once you have kids, it's more fun to get them things. It is so true!

I bought a monogrammed stocking for next non-specific Winter Holiday (some of you may call it Christmas,) a combination diaper/wipe/changing pad thing that is in his very cute colors of chocolate brown and light green, and a frog towel (also personalized.)

I liked the hippo towel. But I am boycotting all things hippo. I was recently traumatized by watching the National Geographic Channel. On it, they had a show in which a sweet little baby hippo got brutally murdered by a big mean man hippo for no good reason. It was awful and I cried. And now I do not care for hippos.

But I really like these towels and I wanted to get one for Asher. The pink bunny was out and the lamb looked more like a brown pig to me, so I went with the frog. What is strange about this is that if I ever see a live frog, I freak out. I have gotten in trouble on several occasions by my husband for screaming when I saw a frog. He gets mad at me and tells me I am only allowed to scream like that if I am being attacked, but I just can't help it. So the fact that I ordered a frog towel is really uncharacteristic of me.

The towel is really cute though. The only bad part is that instead of being just a regular hooded towel, it has frog feet and hands attached to it. It looks a little like a terrycloth frog pelt. If I would have seen the feet and hands that are spread out ready to suction on to something, I probably would not have purchased this item. But it's here and it's got his name on it, so it is ours to keep. And one day I will post a very cute picture of my little boy in his frog towel.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I thought the frog was really cute - feet and all. I agree that the lamb looks like a pig.

Poor innocent hippos that Jamie hates now because of the actions of one mean one.

Jamie said...

I realize that I am sterotyping, but did you know that more deaths are caused from hippos than from alligators?!?

Robin said...

I did not know that.

Is it because people are more scared of alligators and they will approach a hippo?

Laura said...

That is so funny about the hippos- I'll always look at them in a different light now. I probably would have cried too- especially now after having a baby. I love pottery barn kids- their stuff is so cute! That's where I ended up getting Steven's stocking too- it has a reindeer on it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...