Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fondue? Fondon't.

We celebrated our three years of wedded bliss this past Monday night. We wanted to go somewhere special where we had never been before. I suggested we try The Melting Pot, which is a fondue restaurant. It's a little on the pricey side (or a lot if you are us) but since this was a special occasion, we decided to splurge.




So we put on some nic(er) clothes and headed out. Mamaw the Great, once again, offered to watch Asher for us. We don't know what we would do without her! We got to the restaurant and got seated. Our waiter was a little creepy, but other than that, we were looking forward to our meal.

First course--a cheese fondue served with various types of bread, some raw veggies, and some Granny Smith apples. The waiter prepares the fondue at your table. The fondue was okay, but the fact that some kid named Blake was preparing a portion of our $80 meal (not including drinks and tip)kind of irritated me. But oh well.

The second course was a salad. They were good--nothing spectacular, but good.

The main course was next. We selected the "Fondue Feast," which consisted of an assortment of beef, chicken, shrimp, and pork, all seasoned differently, and a platter of different types of veggies. Here's where the meal went completely south for us. The platter of meat they brought out was raw.



Blake the 20 year old starts explaining to us what to do, how long to cook each item, what each sauce is, etc. That's right...you cook the meat yourself!!! If I wanted to deal with raw chicken, I could have stayed at home. I'm looking at this guy like, "You're kidding me, right? You want me to pay you a lot of money to dump raw meat into a boiling pot of liquid, fish it out with your freaky slotted spoon, and then eat it?" Disturbing and disappointing all at the same time.

So Kris and I proceed to cook our own meal at our table. When I go out, the main purpose is so I don't have to do an darn thing but bring the fork to my mouth. The fact that we paid so much money (for a public school teacher and a stay-at-home mom, it's a lot!) to cook our own meal in a weird pot on a burner built into our table with a waiter that seemed to have a little trouble finding our table to refill our beverages after he dropped off the plate of carnage.

The final course was dessert--the only redeeming factor of the evening. I must say it was delicious. We ordered the Bananas Foster fondue with white chocolate. It was served with a little pieces of brownie, pound cake, rice krispy treat, fruit, and cheesecake. I thought they might make me go to the back and harvest my own strawberries, but thankfully, they were served to us without requiring manual labor on our part. What a relief.

So then Blake brings the check. The same Blake who couldn't be found for the greater portion of the meal. Kris pays. We wince at what we just spent for what we just got. We go home.

Thankfully, Kris and I truly enjoy each other's company.



It makes being married to each other so much nicer. So the fact that we got an evening out alone was great. We talked and laughed and reminisced. That part was wonderful.

We will probably never go back to The Melting Pot--I think we'll stick to Pappasitos Fajitas for any future celebrations.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I feel the same way about The Melting Pot. If I ever go back, I'll just get dessert...it is yummy!! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Great Picture (the first one)it had to have been taken by either Asher or Mamaw. My guess is Mamaw...she is fabulous. What an eye...capturing the excitement of the moment. How did she get the two of you to smile? What a genius. Say does she also find and purchase furniture? If she does, you have a real gem!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. Your stories crack me up. I agree.. the sight of raw chicken when I was pregnant would have been reason enough for me to skip dinner and go straight for dessert. And $80 is way too much to pay for a meal that you have to cook yourself. $20 is too much if you have to cook yourself!! Better luck next year. Happy Anniversary!!

Tyne said...

Hi Rives Family, I was one of Kris' friends at A&M, tell him tyne and caleb say hello

Patti said...

This is so timely! I was just tonight flipping channels through the new cable and happened upon that Paula Deen lady making fondue and I thought to myself: You know, we've never been to that restaurant that is all fondue and maybe we should. I feel so grateful that you've saved us from the disappointment. The dessert does sound fantastic though--especially cheesecake dipped in white chocolate. OOOOweee. A happy anniversary to you kids.

Anonymous said...

Aww, I'm sorry you guys didnt enjoy the Melting Pot as much as we did. We did the same double take when they brought out the raw meat, and then we thought, "ooooooh, so that's what fondue is all about." Silly us. (And I'm sure being pregnant did not help AT ALL.) Anyway, I'm glad you guys managed to have a good time even with a waiter named Blake. :)

But really, if you think about it, isn't fajitas kind of the same thing? I mean you pay for people to bring out the stuff from your fridge and then you have to make your own tacos?!? What!?!

Happy Anniversary!

Jamie said...

Patti--glad we could be of service :)

Kathy--yeah, i think raw meat and pregnancy (and having to lift a finger on my night out) have more to do with my opinion than anything else.

However, I MUST takee issue with your fajita comment--if I had to cook my own meat at Pappasitos I would not go back there either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...