Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day


It may surprise you to know that we don't really do much for Valentine's Day. Taken aback? Thought so.

This year, we had a Valentine's Day lunch and card exchange with a bunch of our friends the Friday before Valentine's Day (I almost abbreiviated it VD but it seemed kind of inappropriate.) It was very enjoyable for all the kids to give each other little treats and cards. It was simple--no fancy decor, flower arrangements, engraved invitation, bells, and/or whistles (well, as simple as a gathering of 11 or so moms and our 26 children can be.) We do chaos. It's our thing.

That was the major event surrounding this "holiday" so Monday was rather anticlimactic. I did make some heart-shaped pancakes because it seemed like an easy way to appear to be a really good mother. Someone questions my parenting, I just pull up this picture and say, "Do you like apples?"

"Well how you like them apples?"



Would a bad mother make heart-shaped pancakes for VD breakfast? I hardly think so.

I also made a pumpkin pie for my Mr. Rives. It's his favorite. I make the Martha Stewart recipe that has a shortbread crust so it's really easy--just a little time-consuming. He brought home some Pinot Grigio, cheese, and crackers because he knows my well-documented love of appetizer food. I'm thinking that will be dinner tonight. The kids should sleep well.

I'm not anti-Valentine's Day, I have decided. I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm anti-hassle. There is nothing about receiving roses that have been marked up 150% and some mediocre chocolate and then going on out for dinner at a crowded restaurant that appeals to me. Because it's too much hassle. But easy, inexpensive, meaningful expressions of love for the people in my life that I absolutely adore? I can handle that.

1 comment:

brownies and icecream said...

I feel the exact same way. We have done the wine, cheese, and crackers thing and it never gets old. I am more excited to get flowers on clearance. Definitely sexy when your husband finds a good deal. Glad you had a great VD day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...