Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Aftermath

Today we hosted "Bible Study" at our house today. "Sit on the couch and drink coffee while the children run amok" is really more like it, but I like to sound holy sometimes.

Today we had a small group. Before our group split into two groups, there were 10 moms and over 20 children under the age of 4. We all love each other and did not want to divide ourselves, but logistically, it was just not working out. So last year, we broke up into two smaller groups. Now, sometimes, we hear what the other moms are saying. Occasionally we complete sentences we start. It's great!

But today, just 3 moms and 8 kids. Here at my house. For about 2 hours. And as is the custom of our children regardless of whatever home we are at, there are toys and crumbs and sippy cups strewn from one end of the house to the other. There was laughter, shrieks, tears, and shouts. (The kids were kind of noisy, too.) My floor is no longer swept. I'm out of coffee. The playroom is a wreck.

And I sit here, I'm struck by the reality--I would have it no other way. It's all proof. Undeniable, incontrovertible evidence. We have been among friends. We are loved. Our homes and our things and our food are not just for looks--they are for filling up and using and sharing. I'm so thankful for these women in my life and the fact that we don't let the chaos scare us. We run headlong into it, because we know life may be messy together, but it's far better than lonely order.

So thank you Saige, Meadow, Reed, Cate, Asher, and Jude for the oatmeal raisin cookie crumbs that are everywhere (Evie and Simeon are off the hook for this one.) I needed reminding and it's amazing where reminders can be found.

But now I have to go sweep.

6 comments:

Jacki said...

Hi there! You don't have a hot clue who I am but I just wanted to let you know how encouraged I was by your 'all or nothing' post. In fact, I emailed it to a friend, who in turn emailed it to all her 'mommy' friends. I hope you don't mind. I think you put into words what so many of us feel. Thank you for that encouragement. I am most definitely in the rock tumbler with three kids 4 and under, homeschooling the oldest! Thank you thank you.
On another note, I'm from Manitoba. Today it is a warmer day, just -16 degrees C, which I believe is about 3 degrees F. :) We probably have an extra jacket for every member of your family, if you like. Hehe.
-Jacki
p.s. Just so you know, Patrick Wimberly and my husband went to Regent College together in Vancouver, and I came across your page through Cheryl.

Laura said...

Sigh...this post makes me miss having a group like that and missing hanging out with you girls. Those were fun, precious, and encouraging times for me. Glad that y'all still have that.

Jamie said...

Jacki--thanks so much for sharing that with me! I'm so glad it encouraged you :) And can I just say "brrrr!" 3 degrees? It's somewhere in the 30s now and I can barely stand to go outside. But we *might* get our yearly snow tomorrow so we of course have to go play in all 3 inches of it.

Laura--I miss seeing you every week. I know this is a time of transition for you and that it kinda sucks :( I will be forever grateful to you for including me on those early years of our moms' bible study!

lis said...

This was great to read. THis is exactly what I've found in my girls here! It's what keeps me sane in this nonsensical country...oh, wait I'll get to return to one of those next year too....I just call it my birthplace instead of "Peru, where I live."
You are right, the messes are proof of a good time, how I feel about my kiddos after being in the park! :) I look forward to finding a messy group, when we get back! :)
Thanks for posting again! :)

Unknown said...

The chaos is a beautiful thing and I am glad that we are sharing in it together. It won't be long before Simeon is right there with them all, just look at Reed, tearing it up with your boys. I am thankful for you, friend.

brownies and icecream said...

Yeah for all of this! I hate that our groups are so big we have to split, but your comments on the aftermath are exactly what I love telling people about my life and what I get to be a part of in this season. Thanks for letting me and my little ones along for the ride.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...