Friday, September 8, 2006

Community?

That seems to be a word that gets tossed around a lot among the people that I talk to most often. We are always trying to figure out what it should look like for the Church to truly be in community with one another. How do we break out of the "American" frame of mind that we all suffer from that prides itself on its independence and doesn't think it needs anything from anyone. How do we bear one another burdens, and so, fulfill the law of Christ? These types of questions continue to haunt us because we're not sure what the answers are? Or maybe we're afraid to figure out what the answers are? That could get messy...

So I found this post on another blog. I might be breaking some law here, so in attempt to make sure no one thinks I am trying to pass this off as my own HERE is where you can read the article in its entirety. She defines community by the "via negativa" (be impressed...that's Latin.) In other words, here is one person's take on what community "is not."

"Community is not a group of faceless strangers in the same building on a Sunday morning.
Community is not playing it safe.
Community is not living for “the next big thing.”
Community is not afraid of silence, or tears, or anger, or pain.
Community is not exposing oneself without first establishing trust.
Community is not a one-way street.
Community is not a place where someone does not feel loved.
Community is not a place where complacency or earthly perfection is celebrated.
Community is not impatient while God works.
Community is not a place where the work is ever “done.”
Community is not afraid to say “no” when a “no” is needed.
Community is not ungrateful.
Community is not absent of struggle.
Community is not in the business of letting its members continue struggling without fighting for their freedom.

Community is not an option…it is the model Christ set for us."

I thought this was pretty good. One disclaimer: She ends the full article with a quote from The Message. Other than that, I like what she has to say.

I find myself at a loss when I try to verbalize what I think we are missing as a body and what I want to change within myself. I feel maimed and I'm pretty certain I've done some maiming. I'm trying to operate without the rest of the body that I so desparately need, but don't always want. That has to change.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...