Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I am not an Aggie




**A brief explanation for my readers who may not be familiar with the term "aggie." It refers to those who attend or have attended Texas A&M University. To just give you an example of an Aggie, those who are one are trying right now to figure out why I think I need to explain what one is because they assume EVERYONE knows--how could they not?***

Kris is. I'm just not. I'm sorry. I went to Lamar University. So many of our friends did attend there and when they find out that I didn't, a brief look of pity crosses their faces. Robin's husband once told us that Kris was my "kinsmen redeemer," saving me from the shame of my non-A&M past.

But I humor Kris and even took a picture of our little boy sporting an Aggie hat. And I have to admit, he looks pretty cute!



And now a few things that you probably couldn't care less about...

---I need a haircut. My hair is way too long. My husband's only request is that it stays long enough to pull back into a ponytail. Fair enough. But the thing is, I am no longer at a place in life where I can afford $60 cuts. I probably should have never been getting $60 cuts. So now I need to find a reasonable but amazingly talented hair person. Any suggestions, greater Houston area friends?

---I need to hang pictures on my walls. They are quite bare. I used to think I could decorate a house pretty easily, but it turns out that I can't. I like our cookie-cutter, no-character house, I really do! It just needs a little something. Any suggestions, greater Houston area friends?

---New pictures on Shutterfly!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

I too have not had my hair done since December. IT just costs so darn much. I actually wacked it myself last time. I too, have bare walls. No art work. Just pictures of the kids. Humph. I am not the decorator type. I don't think I will ever be. You have talent though!! I saw Ashers bedding. It is just hidden somehwere!!!

Jamie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Wendy! If the talent is there, it is deeply buried :)

Robin said...

When I read your first sentence, I actually thought to myself "there are people who don't know what an aggie is?"

Then I read the rest of the paragraph and laughed.

You should try Lu Chi at the Main Event for your hair. I thought she did a great job and was pretty cheap. I think I even have her card in my wallet still if you want her info. I like her so much that I almost had her cut my hair last time I was in town, but I didn't have enough time.

Jamie said...

Where is the Main Event? Humble area?

And thank you, Robin, for making my point. :)

Robin said...

Well, I at least figure most people in Texas know about Aggies but maybe not elsewhere. People up here know though! They even know about a lot of the traditions. I was surprised.

Oops - it's Mane (not Main) Event if you were trying to look it up. It's in Humble (east on 1960) right before you cross the bridge. Don't be scared that it is connected to a gas station! It almost scared us off, but we gave it a try and really liked her. Ask Rebecca - she went there, too.

Rebecca said...

I went to Lu Chi also...when you see it the first time, don't get scared. The salon is next door to a gas station, attached to it. But it is clean inside, and she is very nice. It is very close to your house.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the warning, Rebecca! I remember you telling me you went to a place next to a gas statios--I'll have to try it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...