Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Photo Sin Thesis

Nowadays, everything must be photographed. Did you hear me? Everything. Especially once you have children. And I don't just mean the milestones--birthdays, first haircuts, opening Christmas presents--I mean, everything. Or else it might as well have never happened at all.

And then (get this,) there are some people who not only do this but then they take those pictures and they EDIT them and make the moment even less like it really was, therefore much more worth remembering. And THEN (don't even get me to lying,) some people take these EDITED photos and glue them to fancy paper and arrange them just so and adhere sparkly stickers to the page and type some endearing quote in some cutesy font and place all this nonsense in a scrapbook.

And not a few of these pictures are taken with a camera that costs more than my car.

And let's not forget to put all these edited pictures on the bloody blog, k?

I am the absolute worst when it comes to taking pictures. I comfort myself often with the thought that we will not take our photos with us to heaven so even if I regret not being a more diligent pictorial historian, at least my sorrow will be not longer than my life. I may or may not have issues.

Thankfully, many people in my life DO have awesome cameras and the desire to use them. So photos of my children's important events do have a good chance of being captured. For example, two of my sisters-in-law have fancypants cameras and Simeon's first birthday pictures are currently on one of their memory cards. This makes me feel better but it has kept me from blogging since then because who blogs about other stuff before blogging about their baby's first birthday? The better option seemed to be to allow the blog to lay dormant for lo, these many months while countless other details of our daily lives go undocumented. My mind is like a silo for logic.

Go and sin no more? I wish. I doubt I'll change. You'll see me (sometimes) get a pic or two on the ol' iPhone, maybe the point-and-shoot if I'm have an exceptional day. I just can't take the pressure of more. My photography skills are sorely lacking. My uploading, editing, and posting skills even more so. So I'm just letting it go. I can't deal with anymore. I gotta be me.

Now that we've gotten that straight, let the blogging resume.

6 comments:

Becca - www.thatstoocute.net said...

You crack me up! You should be so thrilled to know that I actually READ your blog. I typically just look at pics! He he! I guess your lack of pics is forcing me to read. ha!

Patti said...

The title totally makes up for the lack of pictures. I do feel sorry for anyone who comes to my blog to look at pictures. So much wordy wordness. And I'm sorry the husband forced this new camera on me and made me part of what you so despise. I'm still mostly using the cheap point and shoot because it does not mock me with its many dials and buttons. So, we can still be friends for now.

Jenny Elam said...

I'm not gonna lie- I have a pretty fantabulous camera. BUT I don't even have a blog at all! So none of these beautiful photos are ever seen by anyone. In fact, most of them are still sitting on a memory card in my camera. I say, if you want to actually blog about, you know, stuff, then don't worry about pictures. Paint WORD pictures, yo! That is a historical (and biblically sanctioned!) art form. Plus, it gives you more room to really develop your RANT! Rant on, my noble friend...

Unknown said...

So although I am one of "those" people with a fancy camera, I still completely understand. I have decided to blog and post pics about what I want to, not in sequential order.
Anyways, glad you blogged. Because you are good at it. And don't get me started on that title. I do believe you out did yourself.

Robin said...

Taking pictures is about the only thing I do well. Everyone needs something. I am NOT one of those scrapbooky people though. That though just makes me tired.

Robin said...

*thought*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...